Thursday, August 5, 2010

Blackberry Season

I've been stocking up on blackberries over the last couple of weeks.  I've managed to  make a few batches of jam, as well as I've thrown a few gallons, yes gallons, into the freezer.  They are plentiful around here to be sure, and our whole family mostly just loves to pick them and eat them on the spot.  Thanks to a little help from the incredible season we're having, and to the coolest-ever-pie-decorating tool, we had an awesome blackberry pie at last Friday's happy hour.

                                            


Oh, and look who decided to make a little home out of our patch of berries.  One day we found there were two eggs in this nest, and the next day there were two baby finches and one very protective Momma looming in the blackberry patch.  Don't worry-- no birds in the pie.

3 comments:

  1. Love blackberries and YOUR blackberry jam (nothing like it).

    Cherry Pie is still my favorite though, followed by Rhubarb Pie, hands down!

    Can I tell you how excited I am that you bought a big 'ol freezer? Jam all Winter long!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, add some of your blackberries to a peach pie ---yummy.

    ReplyDelete