Thursday, March 29, 2012

Basil-Infused Strawberry Jam

In the past, I've made Strawberry Basil Jam, which includes chopped bits of basil within the jam.  While I love the taste of it, I personally didn't always appreciate the texture of the pieces.  So this time around I opted to infuse the basil in the jam, removing it before pouring the jam into jars.


Looking for the recipe?

Follow the directions exactly for strawberry jam on your powdered pectin box.  However, after you pour the sugar into your pot, once your jam starts to boil again, place 1 oz (about 1/2 cup) whole basil leaves into the pot, stirring it in as you stir your jam for exactly one minute.  When you go to skim the foam from your finished jam, remove the basil as well.  Process jars for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Important Note:  So that the basil wouldn't be floating around in separate pieces, I bound it in a bunch with a small twisty tie.  This made it easy to remove in the end.

So far I've sampled the jam mixed directly in with softened cream cheese as a cracker spread, added it to a bit of vinegar as a salad dressing, and marinated chicken near the end of a fiery grilling.  This I loved the best.  YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment