Monday, November 1, 2010

Cranberries, 2010

Last year I froze 20 pounds of local cranberries and ran out of them in April.  Cranberry bread, cranberry jam, cranberry sauce, more cranberry bread.  Mostly cranberry bread.  This year I'm making loads of sauce for the holidays, so I opted to freeze 50 pounds of the little gems.  Old Grey Beaver Farm  is a beautiful old place in Kennebunk on route 35.  Bob Nest and his wife sell the berries from their garage by the pound, as well as in the form of cran-apple juice-- they team up with Giles Orchard for the juice.  They also sell at other local farmstands, including Anderson Farms of course.  These berries are large, and red, and beautiful.  The girls and I occasionally try to eat them raw, but I admit we usually opt for cooking them with honey or sugar in some way.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Your cranberry jam is good with turkey, stuffing and mayo on bread.

    ReplyDelete