Saturday, May 15, 2010

Planting Sunflowers

We borrowed Auntie's rototiller a couple weeks ago and finally got around to using it to finish up the area of our lawn that we want for some gardening.  I've already mentioned here before that I did not get the "farming gene," but I can't help but want to try it out with the girls.  Besides, Ed gave me a couple pounds, yes pounds, of sunflower seed so I can try to grow a little field of massive sunflowers.  Several years ago, I remember driving with an old boyfriend through the Hamptons-- I know, it really does sound like I'm making this up, but not so-- anyway, we're driving through this incredible place and we come upon an enormous field of sunflowers.  I'm talking acres of them.  At the edge of the field by the roadside was this one little bucket filled with cut sunflowers, and a little sign that said $1.  It was priceless-- well, it was $1, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, I don't think we'll be growing any acres of the beauties, but it would be nice to see a few pop up out of the ground and grow into flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment